Thursday, October 31, 2013

Shaky Steps


Since joining Jumpstart I have noticed how challenging yet rewarding it can be to work with a group of energetic youngsters. I have never volunteered or had much experience with pre-schoolers. I thought I would take this opportunity to break out of my comfort zone and try something new. My initial thought being around a bunch of 4 year olds made me nervous because when it comes to this age group anything goes. At first I felt really overwhelmed seeing all their bright faces with the so much curiosity. All of them swarming around me as if I was handing out candy asking a range of random questions. I was feeling pretty good with the training and preparation at the start. Then all of a sudden, I was second guessing whether or not to be part of the program after the very first session. I felt completely exhausted not sure exactly how or why but those 2 hour sessions I would have never thought. I told myself that I have to give it another shot and I wouldn’t know for sure until I went back to the classroom. I began thinking about the mission and vision of Jumpstart and this led me to reconsider my options. I began asking for support from my fellow peers and my site supervisor. They provided my with some good advice. Once I stepped back in the classroom, it felt different for some reason. When you actually sit down with the children either in small groups or one-on-one you get to really learn so much about each kid. You get to actually make a real connection with them. It’s great  to see how enthusiastic they are about Jumpstart when we step into the classroom.

~Erasmo Mendez
Corps member
Team Dedication 

No comments:

Post a Comment