Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Kids say (and notice) the darndest things



If my family thought that I was crazy for telling them a new funny story every day after working with six year olds this summer, just wait until Christmas. After having a lot of experience working with elementary aged children, I wanted to see what it was like to work with children in preschool so I decided to volunteer for Jumpstart. I am really enjoying my work so far and it is exciting to be a part of the growth I see in each child, but I want to use this blog post as time to inform the world that the phrase, “Kids say (and notice) the darndest things”, is even more applicable for three and four year olds than it is for a bunch of six year olds at summer camp. 
After each session, our team sits around and compares stories. Last week, I made the mistake of forgetting to remove some liquid eyeliner that was on my hand and one of the children at my center traced his finger over it and said, “Do you have a tattoo?!” He and his friend then proceeded to tell me about every single member of their family who had a tattoo until I successfully looped the fact that they both had brothers back to “Oonga Boonga”. Then this week, a fellow corps member warned me that without fail, every one of her children noticed that the baby in “Peter’s Chair” was naked. Sure enough, during second implementation, each of my children was completely infatuated with the fact that there was a naked baby in the book.
It is the little things they say and those “ah ha” moments that make me truly enjoy what I am doing at Jumpstart.  I feel such immense pride in my kids, my fellow corps members, and myself at the end of each session. Story time will be ten times more interesting at Christmas this year as I tell my family, with great pride, all about Jumpstart.

Christine Asetta
Corps Member
Team Dedication

No comments:

Post a Comment