Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Small but necesary

Anxiously shifting from foot to foot, I heard the rise and fall of children chattering, laughing, and arguing in the classroom. I attended more than sixteen hours of training and yet introducing myself to these four-year-olds felt like standing on a high-dive with a fear of heights. The moment I entered the classroom though, this fear evaporated.
One boy threw his hands in the air and cheered when during introductions. He only cheered for the women and the teacher laughed, calling him a “ladies man.” We arrived as the students cleaned the play area. Initially we stood pressed against the wall, uncomfortably adjusting our Jumpstart shirts. Feeling a little cowardly – and useless – I began to help the children clean.  Immediately ten swarmed, with this uncontainable energy. I crouched to their level and felt this energy flow through me.
We counted play money; I helped differentiate between the fives, tens, twenties, and hundreds and asked what each student would buy with this money. “A dog!” cried one. “Shoes!” remarked another. I felt as ease, the unexpected simplicity of these interactions calming my nerves.
During Circle Time, the teacher read Oonga Boonga. One child who sat beside me sighed, remarking that teacher read this yesterday and she felt bored. As the teacher reconstructed the book and asked questions, I noticed the same few spoke and received praise. Students like the girl beside me sat quietly, with little attention to the book. Others disrupted the reading and as result, faced reprimanding from the teacher. This highlighted the significance of Jumpstart; the children hear their name in a positive context and receive individualized attention, and we as Corps members, feel like a small but necessary part of this opportunity.

~Ellery Spahr
Corps member
Team Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment