Tuesday, October 22, 2013

The Day has almost come


After a month of training and preparing, the day has almost come. Next week, my Jumpstart team will head to our site for the first time and begin working with the kids. I am extremely excited. We have been working hard, practicing with our books, creating materials, and decorating out J is for Jumpstart books for our kids. These books were extremely fun to make, even though I am not an artist. I found some great stickers and am extremely pleased with how the books turned out. I can’t wait to give them to my students next week. Meeting the group of kids that I will be working with for the rest of the year is something I have been looking forward to since I first signed on to volunteer for this great program. Through Jumpstart, I have the tools and the nerve to help these children be as ready as possible for their entrance to kindergarten. I know the work I will be doing is very important, and may shape the rest of these children’s educations. It is a daunting amount of responsibility, but I know that Jumpstart will help me throughout the entire process along with my excellent team members. It may take a few sessions to get the hang of it, but our team is committed to these students. Even though I have not yet begun the most important part of my work with Jumpstart, I know that I am a part of something special.

 ~Lucy S.
Corps member
Team Courage
 

No comments:

Post a Comment