Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Getting Started with Jumpstart


 I haven’t yet begun sessions at the school I’ve been assigned to, but I couldn’t be more excited to begin. When talking about Jumpstart to my friends, I’m started referring to my future partner children as ‘my kids’ – “I get to hang out with the same kids, my kids, every week, all year! How cool is that?!” I have considerable experience when working with children, and I’ve seen firsthand the malleability of their minds and the strength of their will. There are so many personal connections that I’ve created with them that have proved both healing and constructive. With an entire year with these kids, my kids, I know that the connections forged will be strong and lasting
 When hearing about Federal Work Study students working tedious desk jobs making coffee and stuffing envelopes, I feel so lucky to be wearing this bright red shirt. Of course, I know that Jumpstart will come with its own challenges; I can already anticipate the sting of panic and embarrassment as a child has a meltdown, a Center Time activity falls apart, or a fight breaks out. I feel nervous about juggling the stress of school and other responsibilities with the time commitment of Jumpstart. As a Corps Member, it is my responsibility to quiet the static and focus on the child during session, pushing aside what preoccupies me usually; I want to hone in on the child’s troubles, happiness, and story. When I work on Jumpstart with my hair pulled back, armed with glitter glue and safety scissors, I feel powerful and important because I am achieving something and changing my part of the world. 
 ~Aya Folk
Corps member
Team Compassion

No comments:

Post a Comment