Thursday, October 3, 2013

The First Day



The day was already off to an inauspicious start, I woke up late, didn’t eat breakfast, went to the wrong room, and, on top of it all, I was having a bad hair day. Now some people may say that with my four inches of hair it is near impossible for me to have bad hair, but I, along with most other boys in the world, can attest that bad hair is an actual thing for guys. By some act of God, I made it on time; I even snagged a seat next to someone I actually knew. I would be lying if I said I wasn’t a little nervous, after all if you aren’t nervous for your first day of training you are either a God or a lair. I was actually so nervous that I had to occupy my hands with something; unfortunately that something happened to be 5 large cups of coffee. But just as I was going to get up and go to the bathroom for the umpteenth time, my nervousness went away. In fact I was greeted by smiling children on the screen. Then I noticed the smiling faces of my fellow Corps members, the subtle aroma of coffee in the room, and the familiar voice of my site manager. I started to think that this seemingly impossible 8 hour training session could actually be fun. To my surprise, I was right! I do not know if it were the Jimmy Fallon videos shown, beat boxing with friends during quad singing sessions, or playing with Play doh, but the day was not just bearable, it was fun. As I write these words, thinking about my career with Jumpstart so far, I could not be more excited for the next training session, and for the countless other Jumpstart experiences I will inevitably have.



~Ryan Chun

Corps member
Team Compassion

No comments:

Post a Comment