Monday, November 11, 2013

Ups and Downs

The past couple of weeks, Jumpstart has been filled with ups and downs – as any work with young children is prone to do. When I arrived at our last session I could almost hear my boss’s observation, “you have a loud class.” It’s true our children are very enthusiastic, but their volume issn’t necessarily a bad thing – though my impending headache suggested otherwise. At the end of our few hours, I felt, somewhat surprisingly, fantastic. Yes our class had been loud and rowdy, but it had been our best session yet. The children had all been engaged in circle time, reading, sharing, centers, and sharing. The best moments, however, were found in the children themselves. When the first group sat down for circle, one of the students, sat as close as possible – that I would allow – and gave me a hug while saying how he loved me. I’ve only been working with the students around a month now; that means I’ve seen them eight times, but they still love me, and love Jumpstart as a whole. My team member had another child say that when he was big, he was going to be a Jumpstart. While the same student is very frustrating at times, that one exclamation has re-opened me up to the benefits of being a Jumpstart corps member.  The downs never outweigh the ups.

~Amalia Mendoza
Corps member
Team Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment