Monday, November 11, 2013

Early Morning Smiles


Leaving high school, I thought that my days of having to wake up at the crack of dawn were firmly behind me. My college schedule consisted of no class that started before 10:20 am and two days out of the week, my first class started at 2:35. This changed when I started working for Jumpstart. Having never been a morning person I was, at first, apprehensive about waking up at 7 in the morning to work with preschoolers. Don't get me wrong, I love little kids. But as any other college student will tell you, I also very much love my bed.  
So on the first day of session, I rather reluctantly dragged myself out of my bed just in time to catch the shuttle to the Metro. Groggy, still half asleep, and annoyed with myself for not waking up in time to get a cup of coffee, I rode the train for an hour before arriving and entering the class room to work with my students for the first time. Immediately, their energy was contagious. Here were 26 small kids over come with excitement about the fun they were about to have for the next hour and a half, and I was sad that I had to get out of bed in the morning? From the moment I took out the name cards, my five kids were all smiles and childish giggles. They got excited as they spelled their names out loud to one another and noticed the letters that their names shared. When we moved to circle time, two small hands reached for mine and I was told, rather forcefully,    
"You're gonna sit next to me today,"                                                                                                                                                                                               
How could I possibly argue? When we finished singing 'Goodbye Jumpstart', three kids broke out into loud heaving sobs at the realization that their time with us had come to an end for the day. On the ride back to campus, I was amazed at how quickly the kids had warmed up to us. I now look forward to waking up for Jumpstart. Every session since the first has been full of smiles and excitement on the part of my Jumpstart kids and I've found that this is a much better early morning pick me up than a cup of coffee.                  
Cindy Valentin
Corps Member
Team Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment