Monday, November 4, 2013

Making an Impression


            I have a confession to make: I missed a Jumpstart session. A family issue came up and I had to go home for a couple days and in the process, could not attend my morning session. If this were any job I have ever held in the past, I would of had no regrets. It was a good thing right? I got to miss work and go home. Wrong. When i got back to school and talked to my team leader I realized how much of an impact I made on the students by just showing up and being there for them every time Jumpstart came to the classroom.
            Let me explain. My team leader informed me that the instant my Jumpstart team entered the classroom the first thing the kids did was notice my absence. Wheres Mister Joe?!?! several of the children shouted out. Is he okay? , Why isnt he here? , Is he sick? were the greetings my team received when they arrived. I had no idea I would be that missed. It really made me think about what a big impact Jumpstart has on the lives of these kids. With this knowledge firmly imparted on me, I cant wait to show up for my next session and prove to the kids that I'm fine and wont be going anywhere for a long time.

~Joseph Shaw
Corps member
Team Dedication

No comments:

Post a Comment