Monday, November 25, 2013

Getting children ready to succeed


Before coming to school this year, I worked with a summer program that served residents of the Pawtucket Housing Authority in Rhode Island. It wasn’t a very structured program, so I was able to work with children of all ages. It was a program that was intended to provide activities for the children of the community to keep them out of trouble. Volunteers of the program were encouraged to be role models, to encourage children to read and explore different endeavors. I really enjoyed working with these kids, but there were also many difficulties. Although we were supposed to get the children excited about books, it was a difficult task to undertake when many could not read. I remember working with Jazmine, a small, soft spoken, second grader. I was reading to her a Curious George book. And, I was also trying to get her to read the book with me. But, she couldn’t read many of the words. The book that we were reading was fairly simple as it was intended for first graders. So, I couldn’t believe how much she was incapable of reading. I suppose it was then that the issue of the achievement gap became very real to me. It was upsetting to know that Jazmine was going through the Pawtucket public school system unable to read at grade level. Why was she so ill equipped to read a first grade level book? I was appalled to find out that she had been neglected during her first few years in school.  

As a Corp Member of Jumpstart, I am glad that I am part of a program that works to prevent students from falling behind like Jazmine already had. Every day that I go into session I am happy that I am there to get preschoolers excited to read and learn. There is warmth in the connection that is formed with these three year olds that allows them to become excited. I remember drawing a family picture with Lyric, one of my students in my reading group, during one of the first few sessions. She drew every one of her family members for me and I could tell that she was so excited that I was listening to her.  Since then she has been attached to me at the hip. So, I have been keen to her progression in Jumpstart. During reading and circle time, she has become more responsive to the stories and songs. When I first started Jumpstart, Lyric was often inattentive and distracted during reading and circle time. But, now she gets excited to take part in many of the activities of Jumpstart. I am very happy that I am able to be part of her excitement for the program and that I can help in her preparation for kindergarten.


~Katie Kuy
Corps member
Team Courage

No comments:

Post a Comment