Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Let's Play


            Working with children is something I’ve always done. It’s something that both relaxes me and makes me happy. Before coming to college, I was concerned that my chances with working with children were going to be over, but I was extremely lucky to have found Jumpstart. Jumpstart is a LOT of work. Being a team leader, planning sessions to perfection and making materials is something done on a daily basis. Oftentimes friends on my floor will ask me in the middle of frantic materials creation in the lounge why it is that I do Jumpstart. My answer is always that I do Jumpstart for the incredible children I get to see twice a week. Hearing fourteen adorable voices scream “Jumpstart!” when I walk through the door to room 101 every Wednesday and Friday is an extremely rewarding way to start the session. A striking moment in Jumpstart for me was after asking one of our children why he was sad. This adorable little boy while being sad was drawing a picture of himself looking sad. When I asked what was wrong he replied, “no one at home wants to play with me.” Taken aback, I quickly answered, “I want to play with you!” The teachers had told us that he has some issues at home, but most sessions he hadn’t shown it. Hearing this one simple sentence made me realize Jumpstart’s importance in these children’s lives. Jumpstart are friends that they can rely on to come every week. We are always willing and ready to play (and of course learn at the same time.) On Friday, as we were leaving session one of our little girls came up to me as the kids flowed to sharing and goodbye and said, “I don’t want you to go,” but I reassured her we would be back on Wednesday. Another little boy cried when his dad had to pick him up early, and take him away from painting a fantastic pizza. These are the reasons I love Jumpstart. Whether it be watching a face light up as a child gets their letter to match with the one on the board, or watching a child try oh so hard to pronounce correctly the word delicatessen, Jumpstart always finds a way to make me smile. Seeing the faces of fourteen amazing children that I know appreciate our company is one of the most rewarding things I have every done in my life.

~Alexis Maxwell
Team Leader
Team Kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment