Friday, October 31, 2014

The Meet and Greet

I was really excited to go into the classroom for the meet and greet with the children. We had thoroughly planned to read a book first, in a circle time manner, and then break into smaller groups to draw pictures of our favorite foods. I was a little nervous with how they would react to us, especially during circle time. But to my surprise, the children were extremely well behaved and very open to talking to us. I, for sure, thought that we would have a few extremely shy children, and although we did initially find a few quitter than others, once you expressed interest in what they were drawing they really opened up. 


I will admit that a level of awkwardness did exist among us core members when we were sitting on the carpet.  We did not originally seem comfortable interacting and redirecting the children’s attention. But I equate this with us being unfamiliar with the children, and their personalities. I think as times and sessions begin we will develop and understanding of each child’s interests and ticks. I noticed that the children that I was grouped off with were very interested in holding a conversation with me. I felt like all the core members were doing a good job of engaging with both the extremely talkative children, and the more so quiet one.  Overall the children seemed very excited to see us there, and I am hopeful and positive for this upcoming year in the classroom.

-Sinead Brennan

No comments:

Post a Comment