Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Jumpstart Reflection

This morning I helped lead our first jumpstart session. We had been prepping and training for this day for almost two months now, so it was great to finally get into the classroom and put all of our training into action.

Throughout training we had been hearing about how hectic and nerve-wrecking session one was. However, when we were actually in the classroom, it was not as bad as we had all been expecting. It was chaotic of course, but it was a room full of three and four year olds so that was expected, but all the kids were great. They participated in the reading session, and during circle time, and it was fun watching them go from center to center.

They were like little busy bees switching from center to center in a matter of seconds, and their tremendous energy exhausted me. I think the most rewarding part of this session, was the fact that a lot of the kids could recognize their names and talk about the letters in their names, and that made the discussion more involved. They were comparing the letter in each other’s names and then comparing them to the letters in my name. I didn’t expect that at all, I honestly didn’t think that the kids would be that phonemically aware.  

The most difficult part of the session was probably the classroom management aspect of it. The kids were very well behaved, but there was one point where I had about seven kids at my center all wanting to put together one puzzle, and it was very overwhelming. But a good overwhelming.

Overall I think my first session of Jumpstart when very well. And I am very fortunate to be able to participate in such an exciting and rewarding program. 

-Karmah McIlvain

No comments:

Post a Comment