Monday, January 27, 2014

Something new


            As I enter my third semester as a Jumpstart corps member, I encounter many familiar things. I’ve already seen all the session plans; read the corps storybooks, and trekked back and forth to our partner school numerous times. Despite all of this familiarity, a session at Jumpstart is never routine.
            This semester, due to scheduling conflicts, I joined a new Jumpstart team. I am adjusting to my new team member, and a classroom full of new children that I have never met before. I haven’t yet learned all the names of all the children in my classroom, but I enjoyed experiencing the new classroom environment as well as reading to a new reading group. My first semester, I had the pleasure of reading to a rambunctious group of talkative 4-year olds. They enjoyed talking about the book and moving all around the room. My new children were equally excited about Jumpstart, but engaged in the book in a different way. They sat quietly and listened; only responding if questions were asked. I wonder if they will come out of their shell more as the semester goes on.
            I’m grateful in the diversity of experiences that Jumpstart has provided me. I’m studying education, and Jumpstart has given me invaluable experience with reading instruction, classroom management, etc. I have been able to travel to schools all over the DC area and have worked with an eclectic group of students. Overall, I think Jumpstart has added something different to my college experience that most people are not as lucky to have. I get to leave school to travel in the nations capital, make a difference in my community, and hang out with some amazing children twice a week. I’m so grateful for this experience, and for happening upon Jumpstart during orientation my freshman year.

~Christina Mills
Corps member
Team Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment