Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Realities of Jumpstart


My experience with Jumpstart thus far has been amazing. I have always had a connection with young kids, and this program has given me an opportunity to continue this passion in college. I was beyond excited to start participating in this program. The fact that it is affiliated with AmeriCorps was very exciting for me. The session plans were unlike anything I had ever seen with my past experience working with preschool kids. I participated in my high school preschool, and I was excited to be a part of a new school.
Understandably, I was nervous before this program started. I had a good feeling about our group and the work we had done to prepare, but I still did not know what to expect. When we got there, all the smiling faces I saw immediately relieved me. All of the kids screamed, “JUMPSTART!!” Seeing the happiness and joy on their faces was amazing. Reading to the children was very difficult at first because they were so absorbed by how we were. To them, we are jumpstart; people who come in and they get to play with. I don’t know one little kid who doesn’t love to play. Naturally, I was just excited as them to get to play.
I have really enjoyed the groove our group has gotten into. After doing this for a semester, we have learned so much. Classroom management is one of the biggest things. All classes have the troublesome kids, and it takes a certain type of person to be able to deal with this. I believe all my teammates have this skill. They are patient and understanding people. We have all learned a lot from each other and our experiences in the classroom.
There are good moments and there are difficult moments as well. One of the most rewarding experiences I have had throughout my time in this program was during reading. One of my kids, Anna had a breakthrough moment. It was always hard to keep her engaged and focused on the book. I continually directed her back into the reading, but it was beginning to feel useless. However, during Reading For Reconstruction, Anna knew the book like the back of her hand. It was Peter’s Chair, and she knew the characters and the plot better than anyone else in the group. This showed me the significance of actively keeping her engaged in the book. Jumpstart has been an amazing experience, and I look forward to every session!

~Olivia Sheehan
Corps member
Team Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment