Friday, January 24, 2014

Getting Started (again)

            I was hoping that by the time I wrote this second blog entry, I would have been back doing Jumpstart sessions. I had already planned out how I would write how great it was to be back in the classroom. Unfortunately, due to a snow day and a teacher absence, I will not be back with my scholars until next week. I truly miss implementing Jumpstart sessions with the girls in our class. Our sit manager told us that the girls were anxiously waiting for us to come back, and I believe I am just as anxious. Not having the structure of Jumpstart sessions in my week has upset both the class and myself.

            Over winter break I found myself talking about individual scholars to my family a lot. I would talk about their successes, their misses, their good behaviors, and their bad behaviors. One scholar will always raise her hand when a question is asked to the class and when called on will think for a moment and then say, “I need help.” It makes me happy that the scholars want to be called on for answers even if they are not sure of it. This shows that we have created a safe learning environment. Another one of my scholars is not the best behaved. She will straightly say, “No,” when asked to do something. But she is always so excited about reading and talking about the pictures in the book.

            Since I could not implement session this week, I spent a lot of time preparing my center for next week. I am in charge of “Books.” This is my favorite center, even though it is less popular. As a child, there was nothing I loved more than reading, especially with my teacher and friends. Even if I only have one girl at my center it makes me happy that in this moment, she chose to read over any other activity. In other weeks, my team members have picked up books from the library to bring to session. This week, I went myself. I spent a long time picking out half a dozen books. I wanted to make sure each one was challenging, but not frustrating, full of colorful illustrations, and would be interesting to the scholars. I practiced reading each book aloud, even though I may only get to read one or to during session. The Books Center is going to be strong this week!

            I am so excited to get back to all of the great scholars at our partner school. They are so curious, animated, and fun. Doing Jumpstart is one of the best parts of the week, even if the girls do not behave as well as we would like. I know that each time we visit, they learn a little bit more about something they may never have heard of and that makes me extremely proud.

~Lucy Schwimmer
Corps member
Team Courage

No comments:

Post a Comment