Thursday, January 30, 2014

Changing Lives


After a long first semester with Jumpstart, I could not wait to get back in the classroom after winter break. The kids in my class almost always brighten my day; whether it is through reading groups, circle time, center time, or sharing and goodbye. Each child has a unique way of making me smile. For example, my center was reading and a child came up to me extremely excited to read a new book. Before we began, he says, “When I’m older I want to be Jumpstart.” The shear eagerness and longing of a little boy to be able to do what I do makes me so excited to come back week after week. The fact that a four year old already has the desire to serve other people is astounding. Of course, he may not know what Jumpstart entails but his excitement to lead songs and wear the red t-shirt is good enough.
            It is always rewarding when our “friends” are enjoying the books or are really engaged in the songs during circle time. When my reading group could not wait to tell stories about the wind I was so happy. They made so many connections to Gilberto and the Wind that I had never seen them make before. During that same session, my team only had one child by sharing and goodbye. We let her choose a song to sing and she was able to lead it on her own. The huge smile that was on her face the entire time made every struggle I have had with her disappear. It was clear in that moment that all she wants is some positive attention and I was so lucky to be able to give it to her.
            Jumpstart has gotten me through a lot of stressful weeks in college. While our main priority is to help the preschoolers get ready for kindergarten, letting loose for two hours twice a week and acting goofy is an amazing way to forget about the struggles of college classes. I absolutely would not be the same person if I had not joined Jumpstart for this academic year. After learning about Jumpstart at Eagle Summit before even starting college, I knew it was the right thing for me to join. I could not wait to apply and start working with the preschoolers. As much as I like to believe I am changing these children’s lives, they are changing mine so much more.
           
~Judith Snyder-Rothman
Corps member
Team Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment