Thursday, February 21, 2013

Understanding my partner children

After the New Year, I was excited to return back to Jumpstart. I enjoy spending time with my partner children as well as my teachers. They are absolutely amazing and I just smile when I think about the opportunity Jumpstart gives me in the classroom. Reading time is my favorite activity during session because I really get to see my children grow. Every time they notice a new book they ask questions right away. I love it when they get so optimistic about a new character. Hearing them relate the story back to their personal lives makes me understand them more and more each day. Although reading can be engaging and fun it’s also challenging. On some days my partner children might not be having a good day and it can affect the dynamics of reading time. One day during reading, one of my partner children was just not having a good day and she kept taking it out on everyone in the group. Whenever one of the other students would speak she would yell at them and tell them be quiet. It was frustrating and very challenging to try and get her to forget about whatever was bothering her in her personal life in focus her attention on the book. Finally I started asking her a lot of questions in regards to the book and she actually became more engaged. I realized that many of the children love attention. She told the group during reading that her parents pay more attention to her little brother and it made me understand her emotions a lot better. I love my partner children and I want them to feel open around me and be able to express how they feel to me. I am excited to see what the rest of my term with Jumpstart will bring me this year.

~Amina Muse
Corps member
Team Kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment