Thursday, February 21, 2013

Learning to love science


As a person who is addicted to and finds great relief in crafting, I was really upset to learn that art was being phased out as a center time activity for the next few weeks. Part of me, probably the science major part, was still really excited to find out that it was being replaced with science. I was thinking the kids would be equally upset as my initial reaction knowing how much they usually enjoy making a soup of all the mixed paint-- If there is one thing I know they have learned is every primary color makes brown, every time. I had no idea how excited they would be for science, but it came as a great relief since I was the one manning the “Wind Machine” that week. In preparing for the center I searched around my room for a good hour just figuring out what would blow easily, with a strong wind, or just not move. I am pretty sure the items I picked were a big hit because I had a huge following of little scientists making hypotheses that usually turned out right. I never could have guessed that a feather and hair dryer would cause so much excitement and naturally every item had to be “blasted at high speed!”  After all the items were properly sorted and all the kids had moved on to dramatic play, I got a chance to reflect.

I felt a great deal of happiness seeing this scientific fervor so universally. I vividly remember in third grade a science experiment about human anatomy where we restricted our opposable thumbs and tried to perform various activities. I really liked the challenge of feeling like most other animal species and kept mine on for most of the day well passed the end of science period. I knew then how fascinating the human body is and how I wanted to work with it my whole life. I feel like science is one of those areas that children at any age are allowed to really explore and challenge what is around them. Now as a public health major, I think one of the biggest problems that health programing faces is getting people to care. This handful of four year olds allowed me to see that anyone can be excited and inspired by science even if it is merely testing if how a Mason jar will move with a wind machine.  The catch is that you have to challenge your audience and get them really involved and interested. Next time I am attempting to teach any age group about the wonders of veggies or the importance of whole grains, I will instantly remember my Jumpstart buddies running around chasing my silk scarf and try to invoke that same level of energy.

~Athena Roesler
Corps member
Team Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment