Monday, February 18, 2013

I actually taught her that word


Although my group of children for Reading has changed numerous times, one girl has been a constant in my group. This little girl is very quick and loves to answer all of my questions. Even one of the observers that was in the classroom one day noticed how advanced she is.  One of my favorite moments in Jumpstart involves this little girl. I think it is phenomenal that we get to teach these children vocabulary. Like they did not even know this word existed until we told them what it was and what it meant. When we read “A Letter to Amy”, the parrot played a persistent role in the story. It was on every page with Amy and it was colorful. All of the children called it a bird at first. Then, I told them that it was a parrot, “a tropical bird with bright feathers.” The children did not know what a parrot was. They continued to call it a bird and I constantly kept on reiterating the word “parrot.” I thought I had failed on my part and could not get deliver the vocabulary word. When we moved on to the next core storybook, “Hooray a PiƱata!” there was a parrot on one of the pages. It was not part of the story and I did not say the word even once. As I was reading, the little girl exclaimed, “Look it’s a parrot. It has bright colorful feathers!” She told all of her friends that her favorite parrot was in this story too, just like the story we read last week. I was so surprised. Not only did she remember the word, she was able to make the connection between the storybooks. It felt good to hear her say it out loud. I actually taught her that word.

~Iraj Masud
Corps member
Team Learning 2

No comments:

Post a Comment