Monday, February 11, 2013

Overwhelmed


I have to open with a disclaimer - I've never written a blog before. And now that you're prepared, I can begin.

Since sixth grade I've been working around younger kids in some manner: assisting dance or martial art classes, volunteering at camp in my town, even returning to my elementary school to help teachers in their classrooms. Jumpstart is a completely different caliber than what I've done before. When I first started I was amazed by how much was expected of me and my team. Meeting for lesson plans, creating materials, reviewing core storybooks, visiting the library, learning songs and poems, and countless trips to my site manager's office. I admit it - I was pretty overwhelmed.

My first day of CAT probably didn't help. The school I work in primarily teaches the students in Spanish; I know a little but when three-year olds are speaking more fluently than I am, it's difficult. Not to mention the teachers didn't introduce themselves or the students to me. Actually one teacher might think my name is Maria still. . . .At the end of my first day though, I was really getting to know the kids, and a few were upset when I had to leave.

With CAT under my belt, I felt a lot more confident about session the following day. The first time was still pretty intimidating. Things went very smoothly because a majority of my team already knew the schools and students. With less difficulty than I imagined, I managed to get my partner children engage in reading. When I left that day I felt great.

I didn't realize how excited I would be to return. Just walking in the door a few days later, a little girl hugged me. She wasn't even from my class, but she saw the Jumpstart t-shirt. It's been a few weeks since then, and I'm still just as excited going into the classroom, whether it is for session or CAT.
As stressed as I've gotten at some points, Jumpstart really encourages the passion I have for working with children. And that's something I'm grateful to have.

~Amalia Mendoza
Corps member
Team Learning 2

No comments:

Post a Comment