Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Preconceived Notions Do Not Help


            Some people are just natural perfectionists. They can’t help it. They just want everything to always be perfect, without one single mistake. If anything does not go as planned, then the perfectionist might think he or she has failed. It’s embarrassing to admit it, but I am a perfectionist. I am always striving to do my best and am really hard on myself when something does not go as planned. However, this does not mean that I am a crazy person. Jumpstart has taught me that it’s ok to relax and be calm. Things are not always going to work out the exact way we may have imagined, especially when dealing with 3-5 year olds. That is ok. Jumpstart should be fun and not stressful.

            I am a Corps Member for Team Joy 2. The word “joy” is specifically in my team name, because these kids are supposed to bring joy to our hearts and vice versa. Throughout my first semester with Jumpstart, I have learned that this is supposed to be a fun and interactive job; if stress becomes the main emotion behind Jumpstart, then something is wrong. Yes, things can get hard at times, but what makes Jumpstart so special is that it teaches us how to let go and relax.

            I still remember my first day of session. I was so prepared to go into the classroom and implement everything I had already practiced during training. However, session did not look exactly like my training did. Sometimes kids may not sit down for the entire time for reading or they may not participate in the way you want them to, but it’s ok. Whether we may think so or not, we are changing these kids’ lives. We are setting them on the right path for a successful life.

            The lesson I have learned with Jumpstart is that all of our preconceived notions of how session is going to look need to be thrown in the trash before entering the classroom. If we already have preconceived notions of how session will go, then we will freak out if anything other than that occurs.
      
      I love my Jumpstart kids so much. Some days may be stressful at school, but as soon as I enter the classroom and throw away all preconceived notions about session, I feel so much better. Just seeing how excited these kids get when we walk into the classroom and hearing them all yell, “Jumpstart!” brings joy to my heart. I may be a perfectionist at times, but Jumpstart has really helped me to see beyond all of my preconceived notions and learn how to relax and be calm about things. Jumpstart may feel hard at times, but these kids help me remember the joy in helping others. 

~Nicole Rouhani 
Corps member
Team Joy 2

No comments:

Post a Comment