Monday, January 28, 2013

Jumpstart is a lot of work


When applying to Jumpstart I didn’t really know what I was getting myself into. I just knew that it was going to be a lot of work. That definitely proved to be true. Jumpstart is a lot of work but it is all worth it, and I’m starting to see that more as I continue through this journey. I’m about half way through my 1st year as a Corps member, and this experience keeps getting better each session I go to, and every time I see my kids’ faces when we come into the classroom. The joy on their faces when they talk about the things they love, or when they tell me stories make all the hard work worth it. I have worked with many kids in the past in all sorts of programs, but it’s something about pre-school kids that make we want work harder and make everything worth their time. I get so happy seeing the improvement in my kids whether they learn how to correctly write their name, or if they overcome their shyness and share during sharing and goodbye for the first time. It amazes me how much they pick up, and how quickly they learn in one session or gradually through multiple sessions. I’ve learned quite a bit from Jumpstart, firstly I wasn’t aware just how much fun it could be to create materials for my kids and how relaxing it makes you feel. I see on a first hand basis how much work goes into teaching pre-school kids and how important it is to give them a great foundation. Many people overlook pre-school and don’t find it important, but I’ve learned just how important it is and how it affects children’s education moving forward. That’s why this program is so important and valuable; it’s a great experience that although trying and tough, worth it in the end!

~Osato Aibangbee
Corps member
Team Learning 1

No comments:

Post a Comment