Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Changing Perspectives on Life


Jumpstart for me started as an ordinary job but has become a treasured part of my life. A few days back, my father said that “whatever you do in your life, you have to love doing it”. The first thought that came to my mind was Jumpstart and the sessions that I hold with the children. I realized that the most positive part of my life is the time I spend with the kids and that I love working with children.

Jumpstart has changed my perspective about my life and what I wanted to do in life. My initial idea of a career was working with other adults. I never thought that I would want to work with children. But as Jumpstart started, I realized that I love working with children and it would be a dream to be able to work with children as a career. I started thinking about my career choices and I have made a decision to work with kids as I go into the career world. I hope to become a pediatrician in the future. I never thought about becoming a pediatrician before but Jumpstart has changed my mind.

The most beautiful part of working with children is getting to know what they think. As they share ideas and make the most intriguing connections between ideas they are learning and ideas they already know, I feel like I am learning as well. Their perspective is always unique and imaginative. They see things that I don’t see and this quality that they have can allow them to become unique individuals.  As I work with them, I realize that the effort I put into their sessions can change their lives for the better. The thought of having an influence in their lives is overwhelming. Even if they won’t remember me as they grow older, a part of my effort will always stay with them. This thought always makes me want to work harder and be more enthusiastic for them. 

Last semester was the hardest semester in college so far, but my Jumpstart sessions always revitalized my energy for the rest of the week. I didn’t realize how much Jumpstart had affected me until I had to be absent from one of the sessions. I was stressing over a difficult test and I decided to take a day off from session. The whole day as I made the decision to be absent was frustrating because I didn’t want to be absent. As I sat in the library during the session time, I couldn’t concentrate on my books just because my mind kept on wandering to the session and what the children must be doing.  I regretted missing that one session and the regret stayed with me for days making me feel miserable.  That’s when I realized how important it had become to me. 

As the next semester starts I realize I have limited time to do as much as possible with the children and I hope to do as much as I can.

Memoona Khan
Corps member
Team Learning 1



No comments:

Post a Comment