Monday, January 28, 2013

Education is the Key


Education is the key to success! This is a phrase I grew up on and can identify like no other. From a very young age I was taught the importance of knowledge and how it can affect how you live your everyday life and the person you become once you’re older. My parents set a foundation for me that not only explained the significance of learning but highlighting the mistakes they made in order to provide me with a stronger understanding of education’s role in my life. I remember reading books to my mother and father with my three sisters throughout my childhood. Literacy became a prominent part of my growth and understanding. Through Jumpstart I now have a new appreciation for reading and all my parents did to assure that my literacy rate at a young age met and exceeded their expectations.

Furthermore, as I continue on my journey as a Jumpstart member I find myself not only setting those same expectations for my kids at site, but even more for myself. I expect that I will always be more than prepared and that I will do my best to enhance their educational experience while participating in Jumpstart. I recognize that through my hard work, dedication, and preparation I can give them tools to meet all expectations. While at session I try my best to carry out the session plans and recently have taken the advice of my site coordinator to take my tasks as a member one step further. Now that I have experience as a Jumpstart member I am extremely excited to add high quality materials, ideas, and techniques to the curriculum. I know that now I will be able to utilize my creativity and expand my role as a mentor and teacher to my kids. The opportunity I have as a Jumpstart member is one that I am extremely grateful for and everyday I attend site with my kids I hope to instill in them the Jumpstart core values that I share as well. Expectations are a huge part of life and thanks to Jumpstart I know I am meeting the ones I have set for myself and have been set for me throughout my childhood.

~Chante Harris
Corps member
Team Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment