Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The Circle of Life

Over spring break, I met a wonderful woman.  She’s a part time teacher at the preschool I serve in.

I met her while I was racking up some Classroom Assistance Time hours. She was the first to greet me when I entered the classroom, which I found shocking, because normally the little ones get to you first before the teachers do. She welcomed me warmly. With ease I fell in love with her…her kind heart, her sunshine spirit.

While my new Jumpstart friends were curling corn flakes in their fingers and stuffing them in their mouths at varying intervals, I started talking to her. I asked,

“So what is it that you love most about working with children, seeing a you’ve done so for nearly four decades?”

She smiled, and her eyes turned soft, as if she was suddenly taken hostage by the most wonderful dream imaginable. When she returned to me, she said simply, “Spanish.”
“I like to teach the children Spanish. And watch them grow.”

Then she motioned for me to come in closer. She pointed to a child who was modeling a milky mustache with corn flake ornaments hanging off his lip.

“You see this one?” she asked. I nodded slowly.
“I taught his mamá. She was my student too.

I couldn’t help but beam at her. It isn’t everyday you come across someone who’s taught two generations of kids before. I felt so inspired.

Later that same day, I heard a child singing. It was center time, and he was singing. Not to anyone in particular, just to himself. I tiptoed behind him in hopes of catching some of the words.

“Nants ingonyama bagithi Baba.”
What? What was that?
 I cock my head, utterly confused. Was he just babbling or totally butchering a song.? He chants:

Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama Ingonyama nengw' enamabala
Siyo Nqoba
Ingonyama Ingonyama nengw' enamabala

I lean in closer and listen longer. Finally, I understand:

“But the sun rolling high.
Through the sapphire sky
Keeps great and small on the endless round 
It's the Circle of Life
And it moves us all
Through despair and hope
Through faith and love
Till we find our place
On the path unwinding
In the Circle
The Circle of Life...”

I smiled. How beautiful. How lovely.


And how unbelievably true.

-Leila Nasser

No comments:

Post a Comment