Thursday, March 19, 2015

A Look Back




                                                                               A look back

            I wrote my first blog post about a week after I started my first session here at Jumpstart. Now, I have about five weeks left until the END of session. The time surely did fly by.  What can I say? Jumpstart is truly wonderful! I have seen the most incredible growth in the children at my school and it warms my heart. I would like to share with you my reflections as the year is coming to a swift end.
            I have learned quite a few things from working at Jumpstart this semester. First, children don’t want you to pretend when you talk to them. They want truth and they WANT to learn! Before jumpstart, I didn’t really know how much children crave knowledge and now that I do, it helps me in session a lot! Second, we (members of Jumpstart) have the power to really impact children’s lives. We have the immense responsibility and honor to enrich their world with vocabulary and skills. Each day that I go to session, the children participate and answer questions, laugh with me, and engage in the program, which is incredible! Third, their minds are constantly growing and molding into the people they will someday be, which makes me feel proud to know them. I think that’s really what I’m trying to get across here, I am abundantly proud of not only being a member of jumpstart but also the children I work with weekly. I go there to teach them, but in return, they have taught me. They have taught me how to be more patient, more animated (read to reconstruct, you guys know what I mean, ha-ha), how to look at the world with a more imaginative mind, and much much more. I am grateful to have found out about Jumpstart and if I could describe my experience in one word, it would be proud.
            Now, to sum up my thoughts. There have been so many, and I mean countless, amazing moments that I have had at Jumpstart, that I can’t pick one. Instead, I will say that no matter what kind of a day I am having, good or bad, stressful or not, every Monday and Thursday that I head to my site, the day gets better. The children’s smiles, silly laughs, moments of understanding, and general great personalities warm my heart and brighten my day, without fail. Not to mention my amazing team who always makes a laugh!
           

Thanks for reading about my experience!
Sarah Katz

No comments:

Post a Comment