Monday, March 9, 2015

New Semester


January 23, 2014

Coming into the new semester, our team faced a few challenges: we lost two members and a lot of our school schedules were packed.  After our first session of the semester earlier this week, we realized that session with 3 CMs and a team leader would not be an easy task. However, today's session proved that even if it was difficult, session could run effectively with the extra effort of all of our team members. 
For me, today started relatively slow. I had had a long night and was just overall exhausted from the long school week. However, when I got into the classroom, the smiles on all the students and their eager greetings filled me with a newfound energy and excitement to teach. There is no better way to be greeted this early in the morning than the bright smiles of all the students. It was definitely better than waking up to an 8:55. 
One thing that I realized from today's session was the impact that Jumpstart has had on these students just through one semester. After not seeing them for the entirety of winter break, working with these students again showed me how much they have grown since I first walked into their classroom. Students who could barely write their names were now writing not only their names but also the names of the rest of their classmates. The gradual growth isn't apparent at first but after being away from the students for an extended amount of time, I have now seen the effects of Jumpstart on the students' growth. 
While Jumpstart’s main purpose is to teach the students and help them to grow, I feel that I am benefitting just as much, if not more, from this experience. Can’t wait to see what this next semester has in store for Team Curiosity!
-Joonhee Park

No comments:

Post a Comment