Monday, February 10, 2014

What Jumpstart Did For Me


Growing up in a big family has made me believe that I knew tons of facts about small children. However, when I came to Jumpstart I obtained novel informations about pre-school children. Also, this job has revealed various talents that I did not know I had in me. Apart from our kids being so adorable, I can say that I acquired new traits about small children that I did not know about. I learned that our kids are very intelligent, observant, and unique. Furthermore, our kids are very self-centered because each kid has a carving for personal attention and does not comprehend the idea of sharing. Basically, kids do not understand the concept of taking turns and letting other kids have a chance too. Recently, in my reading group one of my kids was angry at the fact that I was giving the other kids a chance to answer the questions I asked during reading to reconstruct. She made a statement about me calling on one particular kid more than her. Well, I told her that she already answered most of my questions and it was time for the other three children to have a chance too. The reason why I decided to mostly call on one girl was because I was not sure if she was engaged in the book, just like the others were. Nonetheless, I felt bad that the little girl was angry but I knew that she ultimately will have to learn how to take turns.
Continuously, my experiences so far with Jumpstart have revealed various talents I did not know I had in me. Before Jumpstart, I hatred art or anything that required me to be artistic. Eventually, I discovered that I had multiple artistic talents that I did not recognize about me. I knew I was a unique person but I did not know how and I eventually discovered it during session six of Jumpstart. I was in charge of the book center for session six but since I needed extra hours for jumpstart, my group leader told me to create the materials for dramatic play to gain more hours. Not knowing what I was expected to do in dramatic play, I agreed and it turned out that I was supposed to create party hats. I was troubled by the thought of creating party hats because I was scared that I would not know how to make them. Additionally, I did not believe that I was creative and artistic. In the process of making the hats over the weekend, I asked my roommate if they looked nice and she happily said they did, but I did not believe her. Even with me being scared that the kids or my teammates would not like the hats, I still decided to bring them with me to session. When I arrived to session my teammates loved the hats and each of them was excited to try them on. They asked me how long it took me to make them and I told them that it took me a while. My team leader was happy that I devoted my time into making the hats. I was happy to see that the other people saw how creative I was and it made me realized that I actually had an inventive side of me.

~Astou Talla
Corps member
Team Compassion

No comments:

Post a Comment