Thursday, February 13, 2014

Making a Connection


            The moment when you are able to get through to a student and make a connection is by far the very best one in my book.
            In Jumpstart this session, I was ready to play Go Fish with my students and was looking forward to seeing them learn the game and enjoy playing with each other. Puzzles tends to draw in fewer students in comparison to the other centers in our classroom--it doesn’t have the cool materials from dramatic play or the creative outlet that art or writing offer--but there are always a few students who enjoy solving puzzles and playing games. As I headed over to my center, I was slightly disappointed but not at all surprised (there were snowflakes in dramatic play!) to find that there were no students who had followed me over; I was going to have to go grab some friends from one of the other centers. As I was standing up to go invite students to come play with me, I heard a voice behind me.
            “Can I play Go Fish with you Miss. Morgan?”
            As I looked and saw who the voice belonged to, I was excited and shocked to realize that it was a little boy who had been pulled out of my reading group earlier by his teacher for behavior. This little boy,although smart is easily distracted and is often taken aside by his teacher to regroup.
            “Of course!” I grinned, exceedingly enthusiastic, “We are going to have the BEST time playing Go Fish because this is my very favorite game EVER!”
            We sat down on the colorful carpet and he picked out the yellow deck of cards to play with “because yellow is the coolest,” and once we were settled I asked him if he’d ever played Go Fish before. He responded that no, he didn’t know how to play but that he was going to learn. Yes you are, I thought, because this is Jumpstart and we help you learn and you help us learn and it’s AWESOME! I explained how to play and we began to play our first game.
            After we had played multiple rounds of just the two of us (all of which I lost) two other students decided to join us.
            “Can we play too?”
            I glanced in front of me to see a half played game of Go Fish and a little boy who was beginning to look extremely unsettled. He pulled his cards in closer, and defensively declared that “these were all his Go Fish cards.” Oh no, I thought, he was doing so well and what am I supposed to do now they need to share but I can’t tell them to share oh no what should I-
            These cards are mine, but if you take ones from the Go Fish pile, I can teach you how to play!”
            These three students played Go Fish for the rest of center time; this connection,these moments: this is why I am a Jumpstart.

~Morgan Taylor
Corps Member
Team Determination

No comments:

Post a Comment