Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Best Kind of Difficult


Participating in Jumpstart for Children has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life thus far. The first time I walked into the classroom it was clear that these children are not on the best track to becoming successful individuals. But with my skills and their excitement, I knew I was going to be able to impact their lives. Each of these kids have the biggest smile on their faces as soon as their Jumpstart friends walk into their class. With their smiles come the smiles of my Jumpstart team, ready to tackle any obstacles that will arise during that day’s session.
            Every session is difficult; but this difficulty is the best kind because once it is worked through there is only success and happiness. Helping the children achieve something that they did not know how to do beforehand is beneficial for everyone. Having something that the kids can tell their parents about with pure excitement brings joy to my life. These children and their families may not be as close as some other families in more affluent neighborhoods, maybe because the parents are out working multiple jobs, but when they can hear about what their kids did in Jumpstart it brings the family closer together.
Many of the kids I work with are clearly not getting enough attention at home so it makes me happy to know they are getting some attention from my team and me.  One girl in particular constantly needs one-on-one attention from one of the corps members on my team. Most of the things she does to get attention gets her in trouble with the teachers, so it has become important for me to continuously say her name and ask her questions so she can be engaged enough to misbehave. I want her to be able to enjoy everything Jumpstart has to offer, but when she is acting out to get attention she usually has to leave the classroom, which is not fair for her or us.
Jumpstart for Children has taught me so many new life skills and has given me more confidence in myself. I know now that I have the capacity to change a life, and to help a child accomplish the smallest tasks like writing their name. While the goal of Jumpstart is to give these children the tools they need to succeed in life, these kids are giving me even more. 
Judith Snyder-Rothman
Corps member
 

No comments:

Post a Comment