Thursday, April 11, 2013

The Finish Line


 I can’t believe that I’m so much closer to 300 direct service hours serving as a Jumpstart Corps Member. I wasn’t sure if I could do it and I can honestly say I was a bit worried about being able to efficiently complete the mission of Jumpstart and amount of hours required as a member. At the beginning of the year I found myself in a situation where I was unfamiliar and unsure of the outcome. In high school and during my freshman year of college I had committed myself to a great amount of activities but never had to worry about not having enough time. Through my entire experience I learned that Jumpstart is a BIG promise to the organization and curriculum but more importantly to the individual who accepts the challenge.

Jumpstart has been an amazing journey that has allowed me to find out more about my interests, my capabilities and myself. First off, when I think of the exit interviews and how I will be scheduling mine soon I’m ecstatic because I did it! No one did it but me, and even when I thought I wouldn’t be able to, I did. I learned that despite my crazy and overwhelming schedule this year I was able to complete hours because I wanted to. If that meant I was the crazy girl at 2 A.M. cutting out pictures of grapes and other food in the library, so be it. I was determined and I still am determined to complete my hours as a Corps Member. The reality is that when you really want to do something you just do it. It doesn’t matter what challenges or obstacles you face. Determination can overcame all difficulties.

I’ve overcome my difficulties but I didn’t do it by myself. It wasn’t always easy and I know I couldn’t have done it without the support of others. I remember being really stressed out about hours and emailing Stacia who always had huge amounts of extra hour opportunities and individual plan possibilities. Also, I couldn’t have asked for a better team. My team leader, Reka has been so helpful and encouraging as well as my fellow team members. We haven’t only created a team but a strong family who I know I will stay in contact with. As I near 300 service hours I have a better understanding of the connection I’ve created not only with my supervisor and team members but Corps members across the nation. I’m excited to leave this experience with so many new relationships and a large supportive system that I’ll have for the rest of my life.

The exciting thing about reaching the finish line of Jumpstart is realizing how much it has revealed about my capabilities, drive and aspirations. Being able to complete it with people you have connected with makes it even better. However, what I think is most important about completion of your 300 hours is realizing no one did it but you.

~Chante Harris
Corps member
Team Connection

No comments:

Post a Comment