Friday, April 19, 2013

Good-bye Jumpstart it’s time for us to part


I can still remember the day I discovered Jumpstart. I remember when I returned home after Eagle Summit I sat myself down and I was determined to finish the application and send it in. I remember my interview day and how I was so nervous to meet with my site manager. I laugh thinking back to that because honestly I had nothing to fear. I remember meeting my team at training for the first time, not knowing at the time that these strangers would one day become my family.

Jumpstart really has become my second family while attending AU. From my team members to my partner children, each and every one of them is important to me. I am so glad that I was able to participate in such an amazing program and that I have had the opportunity to work with such amazing children. Each session was it’s own mini adventure, filled with ups and downs and surprises with every passing minute. I was able to watch my children grow with each session. I can still remember session plan one, first implementation welcome. My kids couldn’t tell me what letters were what in their names, they just knew it was there name. Now, my kids can spell their names and make all the sounds.

 Our partner children are superheroes with fantastic values. We taught them kindness and respect, determination, a love of learning, the magical world of books, and much more. The list goes on and on. But something we never really focus on is what our children teach us. I know that we are the teachers in the classroom and we are the ones who are education our students but something all teachers should do is learn from their students. I know that I have. My children have taught me to appreciate the little things, find joy and happiness in everything, that imagination is the most powerful tool, that sometimes session plans aren’t followed, and most importantly, according to one of my partner children, matching socks are a must! 

Saying goodbye to Jumpstart is hard. I will miss my children, my team and my site manager. I know that it will be ok though. I have watched my partner children grow and I have high hopes for them in kindergarten. I say good bye to Jumpstart with a heavy heart and I will miss it. Jumpstart was a fantastic journey that I was lucky enough to be a part of. So with that said,

Good-bye Jumpstart
Good-bye Jumpstart 
Good-bye Jumpstart
It’s time for us to part


Veronica Pereira
Team Joy 2  

No comments:

Post a Comment