Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Beyond Jumpstart


Now that the year is coming to a close, I am realizing how much more I probably learned from my kiddos than they learned from me. Certainly, we will both leave with an exponential amount of training, support, and the intangible and palpable takeaways. I feel, though, that at this point in my learning career, I can apply this experience to many parts of life. I have a much better understanding of what it will be like working with socioeconomically disadvantaged children. I am far more cross culturally cognizant than ever before. I think it takes an incredibly adept individual to understand the cross-cultural barriers between social classes and consider them with competence. My families have shown me that being disadvantaged does not equate to bad parenting, less love and support, or negligence. I have really gained a better understanding of what it means to be a parent and a child in this environment. I hope I can learn more about these chasms during my time in India working with trafficking victims. I’ve also been able to apply my studies to understanding life in the periphery. Marginalized individuals in the periphery have a higher potential for violations and offenses internationally. Providing an education to children immediately enables them to circumvent so many routes to destructive ends.

I think the expansion of our team benefitted our children infinitely. The smaller groups and extended individual attention led to higher productivity and learning for each child. My kids’ learning was so enriched by each story and reconstruction. Centers were always thought-provoking and good conversations happened at every session. I am so thankful for what happened this year. As anyone else, I am going to miss my kids a ton, and I hope only the best for them.

~Leanza Bethel
Corps member
Team Learning 2

No comments:

Post a Comment