Tuesday, April 19, 2016

It is so hard to sum up how my year of service has been. But, in an effort to explain it, I’ll compare it to something I know well: food. My Jumpstart experience has been like a delicious chipotle burrito.
            The first part of my burrito is the tortilla, the kids. Just as without a tortilla, a burrito cannot exist, without kids, Jumpstart cannot exist. They are the whole reason I participated in Jumpstart. They were my motivation and my joy.
Next, we add rice to the burrito. The rice is a staple in any delicious burrito and my team was a staple to my service with Jumpstart. They held me accountable and pushed me to bring my best self to Jumpstart sessions. Rice can really make or break a burrito, and I was lucky to have a zesty and wonderful team to support me this year.
The beans are the part of the burrito that add that good protein and heartiness that fills you up. Morgan, the Jumpstart site manager, is like the beans of the burrito because she really completed the experience. She is what really gave my experience in Jumpstart fulfilling and satisfying.
The next part of my Jumpstart burrito is the salsa. The teachers and helpers in my classroom are the salsa, because they are necessary and add some nice spice and flavor. Without the support of the teachers, this experience would have been bland and ineffective. They added a delightful little kick to my Jumpstart experience, just as salsa adds some delicious flavor to a burrito.
The final touch of my burrito is the lettuce, which I will compare to the early mornings. Let’s be honest, nobody really wants lettuce on their burrito. What’s the point? Even though the lettuce is not very exciting, it is still part of the experience and adds to the overall flavor. As hard as it was on some days to get up and deal with the metro during rush hour, that is what made Jumpstart Jumpstart.

All of these ingredients mixed together made a wonderful burrito that was both enjoyable and satisfying. Each part of the burrito was necessary and added to the overall flavor. This year in Jumpstart has left me feeling the same way. I am fulfilled and so glad I got to have the experience of participating in Jumpstart.
-Julia Weigel

1 comment:

  1. Good post. This is a very clear, informative and helpful post. Thanks for sharing. Will come to visit again.Click here to find more information....
    JUMP START SERVICE uae

    ReplyDelete