Monday, April 4, 2016

As the end of this Jumpstart term comes to a close, I have been reflecting on my experience as a first time corps member. My first exposure to Americorps was for two weeks while I visited my cousin who was completing a term in Colorado. From the outside looking in, the program seemed amazing. You do service for a period of time, gain a valuable experience, and meet amazing people. I knew that this was something I would want to do. Upon coming to American University for undergrad, I was searching for a sense of community and thought that I might be able to find this with Jumpstart.

Though I joined a semester late, I was immediately accepted by my amazing team and team leader. We all pull our weight, help each other out, and have so much fun. When one of us is sick, needs help, or is having a tough day, the other 3 pick up the slack and we move together as a team. My team is my favorite part of Jumpstart, aside from time in the classroom with the kids - by far the highlight of my weeks. I will really miss them and my school next semester. My goal for these last few weeks is to really enjoy the little things: making the kids laugh, seeing their improvements, and spending time together.

-Lily Eagan

No comments:

Post a Comment