Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Looking Back


           
  
           As Jumpstart is coming to an end, I keep thinking back about all of the things I have learned in the past semester. I have definitely grown a lot and learned a lot. I have gained new friends and experiences that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

            Every time I think about Jumpstart, I can’t believe it’s ending. It was only like three months ago that I started, and to think that in these past three months, I have committed over 200 hours to Jumpstart alone. I think about the kids and the growth that they have made, all of the materials prep and team planning. I think about the mission of Jumpstart and the ways in which I have personally seen them play out in the classroom. I hear stories from other Corps Members and Team Leaders and I realize how much of an impact Jumpstart has on the community at large; that the impact goes far beyond the kids it serves.

            The two most memorable experiences I had at Jumpstart were actually during CAT and TOPEL testing. The first, during CAT, I was working with a student who was struggling to participate and having a bad day. I talked to her and listened to what she had to say and gradually she became much more engaged.

            The second most memorable experience I have from Jumpstart was after TOPEL testing. I had one of the quieter kids in the class, who was incredibly smart and sensitive. Before starting the test, we talked about the Easter egg he had decorated, and he was clearly very happy to have one-on-one time with Jumpstart. After I had finished testing for the day, he ran up to me and told me he wanted to be tested again. The next day, as I came back to test, he and half the class all begged to be tested. (Granted, this excitement changed as the reality of sitting still for the entirety of the test became clear, and most of them lost excitement very quickly.) However, this child, at the end of this day, again ran up to me before I left.

            I think these examples go to show that you really don’t need to do anything extraordinary to make an impact in someone’s life. Just noticing and commenting on the smallest things has a huge impact on people’s self-worth and attitude for the day.

            While I can say that I learned flexibility and patience through Jumpstart, these are things that I am reminded of every time I work with children or in new situations. But these smaller things are unique to Jumpstart and are memories and lessons that I know I will carry with me in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment