Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Jumpstart Reflection

This semester has been revolutionary in that my team and I can finally see how much progress our students have made, both academically and behaviorally. I remember how much of a struggle it was at first to pass out name cards and expect students to be able to recite the letters in their names. Now, however, they are all eager to spell out their names and the names of their friends. Every week I include cards with vocabulary and words relevant to the week’s book and while one student is able to already read these cards; other students are successfully able to spell the words out which is good too. For our session reading, right before I even say the name of the book, my students recite to me the rules that follow during reading. They tell me how they are supposed to act and sit and show me without me having to say to do so. Although this does not last, they understand and will follow the rules when I reinforce them.  During reading, students often relate the book to books we have read previously and will answer my questions with more thought. My favorite moment is when they take turns answering or asking questions, though that is still something I am excited to keep working on with them. In circle time, most students now understand the concept of listening and sitting quietly and it is very exciting to see them understand the activities we do during circle time. The best part is when the students really know the words to songs and correct us or their friends. Centers always vary in quality and quantity, but overall, especially in comparison to the beginning of the year, students have come to enjoy all centers more equally and are a lot better at following directions than before. I noticed that Dramatic Play has always been the most popular and that their behavior has greatly improved over time during this center. During art they are better able to understand the need to have cleaner brushes and mixing colors on the paper rather than in the paint cups. It is interesting to see how they act now and remember how they acted before. I think our time there has been spent in a valuable way and that we really have helped to make a difference in the lives of the children. 

-Ekaterina Vasilenko

No comments:

Post a Comment