Monday, March 24, 2014

Tales of a Jumpstart Corps Member


As we get closer to the end of the semester, it gets very easy to forget how much I love Jumpstart. When papers start to pile up, I have presentations to make, and there’s a test the next day, it’s truly hard to sit down and find the time to prep a Core Story Book for Jumpstart, or prepare materials for center time. Even finding the time to write a blog post can become impossible. Stress seems to pile up.

But on Wednesdays and Fridays when we enter the classroom, I find that all of that stress tends to fade away. By our third Jumpstart session, the children began to greet us with squeals and shouts of “Jumpstart, Jumpstart’s here!!” My four-year-old Jumpstart friend who I read with each session yells “Miss Lauren’s here!” from their classroom across the hall. The children are so young and grasp on to tradition and continuality very easily. They know when to expect us, and they are genuinely excited to see us.  They memorize the order of our sessions and anticipate when we are going to switch stations. Most of them can even sing along with most of our songs! It’s truly exciting to see how accustomed the children grow to Jumpstart.

There were so many reasons that I love Jumpstart: I love children, I love teaching, and I love that proud smile a child gets when he or she understands a new concept for the first time. Being in Jumpstart has been a very fulfilling experience. It is a large time commitment, and it takes a lot of dedication, but it is worth it to work with these children and to help make a positive influence on their lives. 

~Lauren Evins
Corps member
Team Kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment