Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A housewarming


As I made my way toward Mary Graydon Center with my timesheet in hand, I had no idea what to expect the new Jumpstart office to look like. I went through all of the possibilities in my head, going through all of the potential pluses and deltas like a good Corps Member would do. I thought to myself, is it going to be smaller than the old office in Gray Hall? Is it going to be less festive, or less “Jumpstart-y?” Is it going to be too out of the way from my dorm room? Or, on the more positive side, is it going to bigger? Is it going to be worth going up all the stairs that lead to it? Is it going to be a place that I enjoy going to every time I hand in a timesheet, every time I need materials, or every time I need to ask Stacia or Alisha a question? By this time I was already walking up the stairs, following the circles on the walls. Here goes nothing!
I entered the office, and the first thing that came out of my mouth was “wow!” The first thing I noticed was how big the office was with Alisha in one room and Stacia in another! Their smiling faces really showed me how proud they were of their new space, and I could see why. Boxes upon boxes of materials were in the corner of the room, a tree was starting to be painted on the white wall, and each office had a personal touch from Stacia and Alisha; the beginning of a new home. After I congratulated Alisha and Stacia, handed in my timesheet, and left the office, it felt as though I just left a house-warming party. I can’t wait to go back and see the progress that will have been made, how many things will come out of the boxes, how decorated each office will be, and how much the tree will grow. It will definitely be an office to remember, and I will definitely enjoy climbing up the stairs to see it and say hello!  
~Maria Lewis
 Corps member
Team Kindness

No comments:

Post a Comment