Thursday, December 19, 2013

Why It’s Not the Most Wonderful Time of the Year


Last Friday, I wrapped up my first semester of college. After taking the last of my finals and returning all my rentals, I quickly packed my bags and headed home. And I have to say, since being home in suburban Virginia, life has been very relaxing. I wake up when I want, watch TV non-stop and go out for jogs at my own convenience. One would think that this is the true essence of  “relaxation”, but I have to be honest with you: I’m only six days in but, already, I’m tired of relaxing.
            It used to be that on every Monday and Thursday morning I would wake up at 7:00 am to the sound of my iPhone’s Marimba ringtone, reminding me that today I had Jumpstart obligations. Quickly then, I would scurry out of bed, take a five-minute shower, brush my hair, grab a cup of hot chocolate, and reread the day’s Session Plan. By 8:10 I would be ready to go, looking at myself one last time in the vanity mirror with my red Jumpstart shirt on, and grinning from ear to ear. After heaving my backpack full of prepped materials over one shoulder (as Santa would do with his bag of goodies) I would step out of my room, quietly shutting the door behind me so as not to disturb my roommate who miraculously manages to sleep through the entire circus. (I guess she must have gotten used to it).
            But that was then, back in September, October, November. Now, it’s the middle of December. And although the holidays are just around the corner, I can’t help but feel a little unenthused. These days, I find myself bored out of my mind. I’ve come to realize the Jumpstart really made me feel like I was doing something productive, and that I was really making a difference.
My absolute favorite part about being a Corps Member is when we first walk into the classroom with towers of prepped materials for the kids to play with. Once we cross the door’s threshold you instantly feel a wave of energy, of excitement, of familiarity. You can hear small voices whisper under their breaths,
“Hey look, it’s Jumpstart!”
“Jumpstart’s here!”
“Yay Jumpstart!”
            It makes me feel so good to see them again. I love how eager they are to play the alphabet matching game with me or sit next to me when we sing “Down by the Bay” during Circle Time. I feel needed in the classroom. Really, I do.
            It’s a shame the semester ended so quickly. I’m already starting to reference those Jumpstart days as if they were ancient history. I guess I’ll just have to start sing Christmas carols on loop until the time comes when I can sing in unison with my little preschoolers again.
“It’s the most wonderful time of the year…” 
 
Yeah, whatever Andy.



~Leila Nasser
Corps member
Team Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment