Monday, December 16, 2013

A Blur


My name is Brianna and I am a freshman at American University. I just finished up my first semester, and it went by like a blur. I had the wonderful opportunity to share my love of reading, writing, and educating, by beginning to work just AmeriCorps’s Jumpstart program. Before I found out about Jumpstart, I was planning on doing a simple office job on campus. However, that would have been a grave mistake and a wonderful opportunity lost. Two of my favorite things are spending time with children and reading, and I can actually get paid for this? Jumpstart is more than a simple job. You could probably not even call it a job; I get to spend time with wonderful children, teachers, and my team twice a week. It’s absolutely wonderful.
I remember my first Jumpstart session very clearly. I was terribly nervous that I would do or say something wrong, and either I would get fired or worse, the children would hate me. My team and I walked into the classroom, and the immediate change in the children’s posture and expressions was astounding. They were so excited to see us that my heart warmed instantly, and I fell in love with each and every one of those kids. I remember in particular a little boy who was extremely upset and crying. I went over to him and talked to him for maybe two minutes, and he walked away smiling. All of the children were so engaged that day, and even though my team may not have been perfect, or far from it that first time, the kids instantly warmed to us and made it a wonderful experience for everyone involved.
Another session that I will never forget was the one on the day of Halloween. I should probably have known that all the kids would be dressed up, however, I was extremely surprised when I walked into that classroom and saw those adorable little costumes. The session practically went out of the window the minute we walked in as the kids, extremely excited and some possibly already on a sugar high, were jumping off the walls the entire day. Although the classroom was crazy, our classroom management skills had increased enough by that time that we were able to keep the kids’ behavior under control – for the most part. One boy, who coincidentally was dressed up as Batman, could simply not sit still and began climbing on things and jumping off of them just as quick. He was definitely a handful that day, but I will never forget those loving smiles spread across their faces and that sheer joy radiating from them and my team. 

~Brianna Seiler
Corps member
Team Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment