Monday, August 12, 2013

I am doing Jumpstart because...


I applied to Jumpstart last year thinking of no better way to earn FWS than by reading to children. I am returning because it’s so much more. For me, Jumpstart is working alongside outstanding college students, building on my professional skills, and most importantly, connecting with teachers and children. As an international studies student, it’s easy to get lost in policy and politics. Jumpstart has allowed me to understand and incorporate the human element into my perspective. Wherever my career takes me, the encounters I’ve had with eager-to-learn preschoolers and devoted educators will guide me.
However, just as Jumpstart’s motto “Children First” advocates, I am hardly enrolled for me. The real benefactors are the children we interact with. This is not gauged by standardized tests, but by the cheers of our students when they see our red shirts or the small improvements they make each day. Quality early childhood education is crucial for these preschoolers and to the future of our country. I am humbled to be a part of a nationwide corp that helps provide that.
Although I don’t plan to make a career in education, Jumpstart is the service my community needs. President Barack Obama once remarked “If you go out and make some good things happen, you will fill the world with hope, you will fill yourself with hope.” I know my experience thus far has filled me with hope, and I hope this next year brings more hope for me, and for the world of preschool.
Alison Brown
Returning Corps member

No comments:

Post a Comment