Tuesday, December 16, 2014

           Just a week ago when I wrote my first blog post I had made the assumption that my JumpStart children could perfectly write and had a thorough understanding of the alphabet.  Though I have seen tremendous progress in most of the students, today I was shocked to see that one boy still couldn’t write his name.  He knew all the letters to his name and had an understanding of the letters, yet he couldn’t spell.  I take note of this as a reminder to myself that not all of the children have grasped the concepts that we are there to teach, so I will take those thoughts into account and not forget to reestablish our lesson plans.
            While I learned something that I was doing wrong, I also learned what I was doing right.  I have gotten really good at re-directing students back to the book or topic during Center Time, while still acknowledging what they have to say and answering any questions they may pose for me.  I have also improved on explaining things in numerous ways, because everyone has different learning methods.  It is a great experience to see how different children grasp concepts and it reminds me to be patient and more understanding.  During our reading of the Session books, I have greatly improved on asking constructive questions that require thought, rather than yes or no questions.  With such questions, I also have noticed that their questions to me have improved.

            One child’s progress that I want to take note of is of a boy in our class. Today he told me about his life, school, and interests.  I am really excited to see what he and other students will tell us when we come back from winter break.  When I come back for spring semester I want to continue to being prepared with supplies and book preparation.  I also want to make sure I continue having good questions.  I will need to become better at not allowing students to touch the book while I’m reading or wandering off during center time and leaving a mess, but I am confident that with further practice both I and the children become better.  This experience so far has been endearing and I am looking forward to continuing work.
-Ekaterina Vasilenko
 

No comments:

Post a Comment