Thursday, April 17, 2014

This is Only The Beginning


As Jumpstart comes to an end I have the opportunity to reflect on everything that I have learned while being a part of this program. The first thing that I learned very early on while doing Jumpstart is not to judge or predetermine what or who people are without knowing them. When I heard that I would be working in Anacostia my initial reaction was intrigue and a little fear. I had never visited Anacostia, I never even heard of it before I came to DC, where to many living in  Northwest  DC, it is a very “dangerous” place. When hearing these remarks I initially registered them as true, thinking “these people must know better than I do what goes on in Anacostia.” The reality is that yes, Anacostia is a very poor, very violent area, but that does not mean that all of its inhabitants are violent, bad, neglectful people. While working in Anacostia I have come across many helpful, kind, happy people that are dedicating themselves to making where they live a better place. I find these people to be inspiring, because this is a lesson that everyone could learn from. No place is perfect and everyone can do more to make their community a safer, happier, better-educated community.
            Another thing that I have learned while working with Jumpstart is that just because these children come from low-income areas, and are at a disadvantage to children their age whose parents have money, this doesn’t mean that they are stupid, or that they can’t think for themselves. These are people, they can have conversations with you, and they will call you out if you say something that contradicts yourself. Most importantly it is astonishing to see them grow just over the course of a year. Each and every one of the kids in my Jumpstart classroom have grown and changed so much and I cant wait to see what they accomplish in the future. It is endearing to know that they all have so many possibilities in front of them, and they can do anything with their lives. I can only hope that everything that we have done for them through Jumpstart can give them the extra push they need to succeed in life, but only time can tell. I am so thankful that I was given the opportunity to work with a program that offers young children the opportunity to succeed and have a bright and full future.

~Loren Grier
Team Leader
Team Inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment