Monday, March 25, 2013

Organized Chaos



When I walked into the office for my Jumpstart interview I was told that Jumpstart as a whole can be referred to as “organized chaos.” Now, almost 6 months later I’ve found this to be true.

We pour hours and energy into planning and preparing a session that will give the most to our partner children. In the past few months I’ve made two washing machines, prepped numerous books, painted, colored and cut all to prepare the “perfect session.” But then we get there and despite all of our careful planning, everything becomes chaotic.

For example, last week I was art, the instructions on the session plan were to have the children paint with colors from Rabbits and Raindrops, in theory, it is a great way for children to learn and discuss colors and weather. In reality, children would rather find paint and mix colors rather than follow the session plan. This week I am dramatic play, I’ve been doing laundry with my partner children and sorting clothes yet there are always the children who would rather wear the clothes or try to climb into the washing machine no matter how many times you try to direct them to put clothes in the washer instead of themselves.

It is these times where you have to take a step back and adapt. I’ve come to realize that when working with three year olds nothing is going to be perfect. There will be days when you wonder what you’re doing wrong and whether your inability to get them to do what you want them to do will affect their learning. But, it is these times where you have to let the children teach you. And I can honestly say that I’ve learned so much from my partner children, however, I think the most important lesson I’ve learned is that sometimes you can’t fully control a situation, you just have to go along with it.

~Jennie Maibor
Corps member
Team Joy 2

No comments:

Post a Comment